Friday, September 28, 2012

book club


Thanks,Heather and Katie!


This week I read:

Playing Dead by Julia Heaberlin
Playing Dead US
WHAT IF YOUR WHOLE LIFE WAS A LIE?
That's the question torturing child psychologist Tommie McCloud after she opens a stranger's letter only days after burying her father. The woman claims that Tommie is her child, kidnapped thirty-two years ago. Suddenly, a deeply rooted Texas girl finds herself linked to a horrific past: the slaughter of a family in Chicago, the murder of an Oklahoma beauty queen and the kidnapping of a little girl named Adriana. With everything she has ever believed in question and a stalker determined to stop her, Tommie must discover the truth about her family's secrets and the girl who vanished.
(thanks to her website)

I enjoyed the characters and overall plot with some unexpected twists thrown in. It wasn't as thrilling though as I thought it would be and it was slow reading at the beginning;I never was fully hooked. I give it a C.


Emily Giffin's Where we Belong
Where We Belong











Marian Caldwell is a thirty-six year old television producer, living her dream in New York City. With a fulfilling career and satisfying relationship, she has convinced everyone, including herself, that her life is just as she wants it to be. But one night, Marian answers a knock on the door . . . only to find Kirby Rose, an eighteen-year-old girl with a key to a past that Marian thought she had sealed off forever. From the moment Kirby appears on her doorstep, Marian’s perfectly constructed world—and her very identity—will be shaken to its core, resurrecting ghosts and memories of a passionate young love affair that threaten everything that has come to define her.
 
For the precocious and determined Kirby, the encounter will spur a process of discovery that ushers her across the threshold of adulthood, forcing her to re-evaluate her family and future in a wise and bittersweet light. As the two women embark on a journey to find the one thing missing in their lives, each will come to recognize that where we belong is often where we least expect to find ourselves—a place that we may have willed ourselves to forget, but that the heart remembers forever.
(thanks to her website)

I normally enjoy Emily's books and this was no exception. It was a sweet,unexpected story and the characters were fun to follow along. I liked both women's point-of-views and how they developed and seemed life-like. Towards the end though I was reminded of the movie, "august rush", because the story seemed a bit similar. A decent read that was quick and meaningful. I give it a B.


******
Have a great Fall weekend!

3 comments:

  1. I've heard mixed reviews about this one. I still want to read her Something Blue and Baby Proof, so this is going on the bottom of her pile. Glad you enjoyed it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved Where We Belong. I think it's probably my favorite out of everything Emily Giffin has published so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read anything Emily Giffin but I have 5 of her books on my shelf, I better get to it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leave a comment! They really do make me smile and I try my best to reply to each one!