There is just over one week until Thanksgiving (here in America...if you are Canadian you have just under one year until your next one,I think) so in case you need a delicious Thanksgiving dessert idea, here you go! I came across this recipe three years ago on Jen's blog and I have made it every Thanksgiving/November since. It is an easy recipe,not too time-consuming and my family loves it and gobbles (pun intended) it down.
(I use pumpkin pie spice instead of the ginger,cinnamon and nutmeg though. It makes it easier and I bet it gives it more pumpkin pie flavoring over all).
for the graham cracker crust:
- 18 graham crackers (2 sleeves)
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
for the cheesecake:
- 1 15-oz can pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon*
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg*
- 1/2 tsp ginger*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 lbs cream cheese, at room temperature (3, 8oz boxes)
- *3 Tbsp of Pumpkin Pie spice instead of the three separate spices
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl crush graham crackers with your hands. Add sugar and butter and mix well. Press graham cracker crumbs onto a lined (parchment paper) jelly roll pan. Bake for 5 minutes until toasty. Remove and reduce oven temperature to 325.
- Mix together the pumpkin, eggs, brown sugar, cream and vanilla in a large bowl.
- In the bowl of a Mixer, beat together the cream cheese, granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg,ginger (or 3 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice in place of all three of these) and salt. Beat until light and fluffy then slowly pour in pumpkin mixture. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and not many lumps remain.
- Pour batter onto baked crust and bake for 50 minutes until edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Let cool completely before cutting into small squares (and topping with whipped cream).
My ingredients and utensils...
I use the Pampered Chef brand "mix-n-chop" and it is awesome.
After adding the melted butter and sugar and mixing,spread it on the prepared tray.
Pumpkin mixture step and the cream cheese mixing step.
Blending the pumpkin mixture into the cream cheese mixture.
Ready for the oven!