Friday, August 17, 2012

book club



Thanks to the lovely(ies) Kaite and Heather!



The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin
My Last Duchess by Daisy Goodwin
My Last Duchess, or The American Heiress in the US Edition, is the story of Cora Cash, an American heiress who marries an English duke at the end of the nineteenth century.
(thanks to her website)
This book sounded so engrossing and it turned out to be a decent read; nothing too exciting or depressing. It was a bit dull in the middle and throughout the whole story I just felt sorry for Cora since all she ever wanted was to be in love and not follow her Mother's plans. You could tell where the plot was going to go at times and I still don't really see the point of the whole fire incident with the Mother. It did make wonder what will happen after the overall ending though; I give it a B.


A Place of Peace by Amy Clipston
A Place of Peace by Amy Clipston
Miriam Lapp returns to the Amish community she once belonged to when she hears of her mother's death. Amidst her grief and some painful lies from her past, she is forced to face the people who rejected her. Losing her once fiancé and being shunned by her father becomes an excruciating test of her faith.
(thanks to her website)

This was the third installment in this series;a fun look into the English vs Amish life along with romance,drama and family issues. I was getting annoyed with the constant back-and-forth of Timothy and Miriam but it was sweet nonetheless. I always enjoy Amy's work;and I read this in one day. I give it a C.



Bed of Roses by Nora Roberts

Love blossoms in the second novel in the #1 New York Times bestselling Bride Quartet series. Florist Emma Grant is finding career success with her friends at their Vows wedding planning company, and her love life appears to be thriving. Though men swarm around her, she still hasn’t found Mr. Right. And the last place she’s looking is right under her nose.
But that’s right where Jack Cooke is. He’s so close to the women of Vows that he’s practically family. But the architect has begun to admit to himself that his feelings for Emma have developed into much more than friendship.
(thanks to her website)

Another enjoyable,swoon-worthy love story by Ms. Roberts. I felt like there were some parts that were unnecessary to the whole of the plot and sometimes there were too many characters to keep track of but it all evened out in the end. I loved the last scene! I did think though that Emma overreacted towards the end and I thought it was a bit ridiculous that she wouldn't even let Jack talk. I breezed through this in a day too. I am looking forward to the next book that focuses on Laurel; I give this a solid C.



The Guardian by Dee Henderson
The Guardian, O'Malley Series #2   -     
        By: Dee Henderson
A federal judge has been murdered. There is only one witness. And an assassin wants her dead. U.S. Marshal Marcus O’Malley thought he knew the risks of the assignment...He was wrong
(thanks to her website)
The second book in her series about the O'Malley family. I love the character of Marcus and his dedication to his job and family. I loved learning more about him and his history; and seeing him with Shari was sweet. A good plot that kept me interested and wanting to know what happens next. I give this a B.



******
Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my corner of the blogosphere yesterday :) I love your blog! The O'Malley series is one of my all time favourites and I am excited to see what you have to say about The Truthseeker :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leave a comment! They really do make me smile and I try my best to reply to each one!