Friday, June 1, 2012

book club


Remember, it was a long weekend AND no new tv shows are on anymore so I have much more time to read at night :)


Nora Roberts' The Next Always
The Next Always

 



Beckett Montgomery and his brothers begin renovations on the historic hotel in Boonsboro, Maryland. A second chance for the inn leads to a second chance for love.
(from her website)

Ok, don't get mad at me BUT this is my very first Nora Roberts book...I know, I don't know what I was thinking really (well,I guess I thought her books were more trashy/risque) but after reading this book I know that isn't always the truth. I LOVED THIS BOOK! The sweet characters and their struggles and the sublet yet passionate love and moments between Beckett and Claire. There wasn't one character I didn't like (well Sam was hated, but he is supposed to be..) and I loved the dynamic of both sets of brothers with their mothers. I adored these characters and was rooting for them and laughing at them for being silly. Also, there is a dark twist that I did see coming but nonetheless it still added to the whole book. I cannot wait to read the next book in this new trilogy! A solid A for sure.

Roberta Rich's The Midwife of Venice
US Cover of Midwife of Venice

Hannah Levi, a midwife in the Venetian ghetto has gained renown for her skill in coaxing reluctant babies out of their mother’s bellies using her “birthing spoons”, a rudimentary form of forceps. One night a Christian nobleman, Conte Paolo di Padovani appears at Hannah’s door in the Jewish ghetto with an impossible request.He implores Hannah to help his dying wife and save their unborn child. But a Papal edict has made it a crime, punishable by death, for Jews to render medical treatment to Christians. The Conte offers her a huge sum of money, enough to enable her to sail to Malta to ransom her beloved husband, Isaac who has been captured at sea and is a slave of the Knights of St. John.
(from her website)

I am still sort of fighting with my overall reaction to this book. It is quite an interesting story and I liked the time period and setting it is set in but something about it irks me. It definitely had me hooked because I wanted to see how much Hannah could continue to endure and if she and Isaac ever reunite...but the sadness,betrayal, hopelessness and awful treatment of Jews by Christians turned my stomach. Also, I could have done without the graphic details regarding childbirth techniques back then....so yeah, I don't know if I recommend this book or not even though I didn't hate it it was just much darker than I thought. I give it a C overall.


Kimberley Freeman's Wildflower Hill


In 1920s Glasgow, Beattie Blaxland falls pregnant to her married lover Henry just before her nineteenth birthday. Abandoned by her family, Beattie and Henry set sail for a new life in Australia. But life is not about to follow the plan that Beattie had hoped for and fate will play her a cruel hand…In 2009, London, prima ballerina Emma Blaxland-Hunter is also discovering that life can have its ups and downs. Unable to dance again after a fall, Emma returns home to Australia to recuperate. But on arrival she is presented with some surprising news – her recently deceased and much-loved grandmother Beattie Blaxland has left her Tasmanian property to Emma.
Told through the eyes of a young Beattie Blaxland and a contemporary Emma Blaxland-Hunter, this is an emotionally charged, seductive tale of self-discovery, secrets and surprises.
(from her website)

If you like Kate Morton (I do!) than you will probably like this book. I really enjoyed this novel(although it is over 500 pages) and is a gripping read. I loved getting to know both women's stories even though Emma was quite self centered and I wasn't a big fan of hers for most of the book. Beattie's story is rough yet shows how strong a woman/mother can be. I will admit though that the ending was a disappointment, I personally wanted one more little bit of explanation/closure. I adored the settings of Australia and Tasmania a lot and learning about sheep farming. Beattie's story reminded me of the movie, Australia, well at least her farming days did. If you start reading this book be forewarned that it will be hard to put down! I give it a solid B (I would have given it an A but I am still upset about the ending--ha).


Sarah Addison Allen's The Girl who Chased the Moon
The Girl Who Chased the Moon
Emily Benedict is about to find out if wallpaper can change pattern on its own, if a cake can bring back a lost love, and if there really is a ghost dancing in her back yard.

Another fun and enjoyable novel by Sarah. I really enjoyed the characters,especially the Grandpa. I liked the overall theme that you can't expect someone else to pay for the sins of another. I love the Southern setting, small town feeling, baking cakes aspect and goofy secret. I give it an A.

******
Thanks to the wonderful Heather!
******
Have a lovely weekend!

6 comments:

  1. You should read the Bride Quartet by Nora Roberts. Those are my faves of hers and it's more about friendship than romance :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your reviews. I am always amazed (and jealous) about how much you read. These all sound intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will start with "The Midwife of Venice"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You read so many awesome books this week! I've just been dying to read The Midwife of Venice, so it's a little disappointing to hear that it didn't live up to your expectations.

    And just so you don't feel too alone, I've never read a Nora Roberts book either. I do think I'd enjoy her books, so I'm sure at sometime I'll finally pick one of her books up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have so much in commmon with the books we enjoy. I love your reviews each and every week :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't read any Nora Roberts!! :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leave a comment! They really do make me smile and I try my best to reply to each one!