Friday, May 11, 2012

book club


Joining up with Heather,per usual!

Burn Notice:The Bad Beat by Tod Goldberg
Burn Notice: The Bad Beat

Michael Westen is still in Miami, trying to survive as a spy without a country. Brent Grayson is a nineteen-year-old college kid who claims to own a company that doesn't really exist. And Michael has to save Brent's father from loan sharks and fend off sinister Russian businessman who see every takeover as an opportunity to be hostile.
(thanks amazon.com)

I love these books that are based on one of my favorite tv shows (Burn Notice) because he gets it all so right. It is like watching an episode on tv; and it has me laughing out loud. A neat "case" to follow and solve with the normal charm and whit of all the regular characters. I give this an A.

Bloom by Kelle Hampton
Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected--A Memoir


"Love me. Love me. I'm not what you expected, but oh, please love me."
That was the most defining moment of my life. That was the beginning of my story.
From the outside looking in, Kelle Hampton had the perfect life: a beautiful two-year-old daughter, a loving husband, a thriving photography career, and great friends. When she learned she was pregnant with her second child, she and her husband, Brett, were ecstatic. Her pregnancy went smoothly and the ultrasounds showed a beautiful, healthy, high-kicking baby girl.
But when her new daughter was placed in her arms in the delivery room, Kelle knew instantly that something was wrong. Nella looked different than her two-year-old sister, Lainey, had at birth. As she watched friends and family celebrate with champagne toasts and endless photographs, a terrified Kelle was certain that Nella had Down syndrome—a fear her pediatrician soon confirmed. Yet gradually Kelle's fear and pain were vanquished by joy, as she embraced the realization that she had been chosen to experience an extraordinary and special gift.
With lyrical prose and gorgeous full-color photography, Bloom takes readers on a wondrous journey through Nella's first year of life—a gripping, hilarious, and intensely poignant trip of transformation in which a mother learns that perfection comes in all different shapes. It is a story about embracing life and really living it, of being fearless and accepting difference, of going beyond constricting definitions of beauty, and of the awesome power of perspective. As Kelle writes, "There is us. Our Family. We will embrace this beauty and make something of it. We will hold our precious gift and know that we are lucky."
(thanks amazon.com)

I couldn't wait to read this memoir because I love Kelle's story and blog (and have for many years) and I think she is a true inspiration and strong woman/mother. Even though I knew about the general story/surprise of Nella's birth from her blog, this book still had me in tears a lot. Although at times they were happy tears while other times they were tears for her heartfelt emotions and situation. I love her outlook on life and how she knows and focuses on the main objective as her life goal: her family! This is just a powerful and moving memoir and testimony of her love of her family and daughters! Thanks Kelle,for being so darn honest,open,raw and real while sharing your story and journey of learning your beautiful Nella has that extra something special. Plus the amazing photographs and overall appearance of the book is astounding. I give it an A.

******
What have you been reading?

Happy Friday!

4 comments:

  1. I have Bloom on my list, too! Her children are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 new books for my list! thank you! :)
    and i should definitely start to watch burn notice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloom sounds like a book that would really hold my interest. I haven't heard of the book (or the blog), but I'll definitely make a point to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to find Kelly's blog! I hadn't heard of her story before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leave a comment! They really do make me smile and I try my best to reply to each one!