Saturday, December 29, 2012

book club



A day late, but here it is.

This week I read:

Harriet Evans' Happily Ever After
Happily Ever After
At twenty-two, Eleanor Bee is sure about three things: she wants to move to London and become a literary superstar; she wants to be able to afford to buy a coffee and croissant every morning; and after seeing what divorce did to her parents—especially her mum—she doesn’t believe in happy endings.
Elle moves to London. She gets a job at Bluebird Books, a charmingly old-fashioned publisher. She falls out of bars, wears too-short skirts, makes lots of mistakes, and feels like she’s learning nothing and everything at the same time. And then, out of the blue, she falls in love, and that’s when she realizes just how much growing up she has to do.
Ten years on, Elle lives in New York, and you could say she has found success; certainly her life has changed in ways she could never have predicted. But no matter where you go and how much you try to run away, the past has a funny way of catching up with you. . . .

(thanks to her website)

I must admit I never liked this book and I only kept reading because I thought it would get better and redeem itself but I was wrong. Elle was not a likeable character and I couldn't stand the changing of years and feeling like you missed out on details and the story because of the wacky jumps in time. Nothing really made any sense and the ending felt forced and it was WAY too long. Just blah;I give it an F.

Dee Henderson's The Protector
The Protector (The O'Malley Series #4)
Jack O'Malley is a fireman who is fearless when it comes to facing an inferno. But when an arsonist begins targeting his district, his shift, his friends, Jack faces the ultimate challenge: protecting the lady who saw the arsonist before she pays an even higher price. Introducing the O'Malleys, an inspirational group of seven, all abandoned or orphaned as teens, who have made the choice to become a loyal and committed family. They have chosen their own surname, O'Malley, and have stood by each other through moments of joy and heartache. Their stories are told in CBA best-selling, inspirational romantic suspense novels that rock your heart and restore strength and hope to your spirit.
(thanks to amazon)

Another great addition to the O'Malley series. I love me a firefighter and Jack is no exception. It was also neat to learn more about the details of being a firefighter and how it affects your life. I liked the characters and I always enjoy following each O'Malley sibling plus a bit of romance and a mystery to solve makes it all better. I also like how Dee incorporates different yet real issues regarding religion/believing in God into her stories,but she never forces it or drags it on so it becomes overdone. A wonderful read;I give it an A.

Julie Garwood's The Ideal Man

Dr. Ellie Sullivan has just completed her residency at a large urban hospital. While jogging in a park nearby, she witnesses the shooting of an FBI agent in pursuit of wanted criminals, a couple identified as the Landrys. The only person to see the shooter's face, Ellie is suddenly at the center of a criminal investigation.
Agent Max Daniels takes over the Landry case. A no-nonsense lawman, he's definitely not the ideal man that Ellie has always imagined, yet she's attracted to him in a way she can't explain.

(thanks to her website)

I loved this book,a fun romance and intense suspenseful plot. The characters were so real and sweet it was hard not to root for them. Sure, it seemed a bit unrealistic at times but never too wacky or sappy. Although I will admit that I was a bit disappointed with how Ava acted in the end,it never seemed like she and Ellie really settled things,just Ellie apologizing for no good reason. Also I liked seeing a glimpse into Annie's life. I aways enjoy Julie's novels! I give it an A.

******
Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leave a comment! They really do make me smile and I try my best to reply to each one!