Friday, May 25, 2012

book club


Thanks, as always, to Heather:

I read:

The Bungalow by Sara Jio


A sweeping saga of thwarted love, murder, and a long-lost painting… In the summer of 1942, twenty-one-year-old Anne Calloway, newly engaged, sets off to serve in the Army Nurse Corps on the Pacific island of Bora-Bora. More exhilarated by the adventure of a lifetime than she ever was by her predictable fiance, she is drawn to a mysterious soldier named Westry, and their friendship soon blossoms into hues as deep as the hibiscus flowers native to the island. under the thatched roof of an abandoned beach bungalow, the two share a private world–until they witness a gruesome crime, Westry is suddenly redeployed, and the idyll vanishes into the winds of war. A timeless story of enduring passion, The bungalow chronicles Anne’s determination to discover the truth about the twin losses–of life and, and of love–that have haunted her for seventy years.
(from her website)

I really enjoyed this book (just like her previous novel, Violets of March). An interesting and twisting journey back to world war II and what it may have been like being a nurse/soldier in the South Pacific. A great mystery and love story all in one! I saw some parts coming and yet it still warmed my heart and I craved learning more about the characters. Such vivid scenery and imagery while reading too. I give this an A.

The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen
The Peach Keeper










Welcome to Walls of Water, North Carolina, where the secrets are thicker than the fog from the town's famous waterfalls, and the stuff of superstition is just as real as you want it to be.
(from her website)

I adored this book;it had me roped in from the beginning. I felt so strongly for these characters and their losses and love lives. What a darker/more mysterious twist it has though it isn't too detailed where it ruins the overall story. I didn't want it to end, I wanted to keep reading about these women and their men. I give it a solid A.


Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis
Kisses from Katie










I have absolutely no desire to write a book about myself. This is a book about
a Christ who is alive today and not only knows but cares about every hair on my head. Yours too. I'm writing this book on the chance that a glimpse into the life of my family and me, full of my stupidity and God's grace, will remind you of this living, loving Christ and what it means to serve Him. I'm writing with the hope that as you cry and laugh with my family you will be encouraged that God still uses flawed human beings to change the world. And if He can use me, He can use you." 

(from her website)

I was given this book on my birthday from Bestie B and I was intrigued as I read the front cover. I am just blown away by Katie's story and journey of following God and His calling for her. At times I just couldn't believe the things she was doing/seeing/experiencing. It made me want to run over to Africa and hug tons of babies in need AND it made me want to listen more closely to what He has in store for me! This book is such an honest and amazing story;God bless her!

******
Happy Memorial Day Weekend!!

And an especially big "thank you" to all our current and past soldiers!!

8 comments:

  1. Nice reviews! I have been on the fence about reading The Peach Keeper (because I've seen mixed reviews), but I'll put it back on my list now. :) I also think I'll check out The Bungalow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the looks of the first two! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have The Bungalow and The Peacb Keeper on my to read list. I can't wait to get to them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All these sound great. Glad it was a good reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard about Katie Davies from American blogs-but having just come from living in uganda for 2 years -had never heard of her when i was there. i guess the thing is -there are soooo many people doing selfless acts and (although the book/profits are not about her (?) or go to her) she wrote a book.hmmmm. but that doesn't take away that she is working hard for others-no doubt about it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to read all of these, and I'm a little jealous you managed to get through them all in one week. Hopefully though I'll eventually have the time to get through them all as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really really loved The Bungalow! Sarah Jio is an author I'm definitely going to watch from now one - love everything she's done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to read The Bungalow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leave a comment! They really do make me smile and I try my best to reply to each one!