Friday, June 7, 2013

book club



In the past two weeks,I have read:

Chicago Blackhawks: Seventy Five Years Bob Verdi

Over the past seventy-five years, the Chicago Blackhawks have made sports history. As a member of the National Hockey League’s "Original Six," they have defined the sport and raised our expectations of the game and its players. The Blackhawks have been an integral part of Chicago, identifying with their loyal fans and reflecting their unique character and attitude.
Throughout their history, the Blackhawks have shown tremendous resilience in the face of defeat. They have risen from the ashes better than most, often with great drama. Who could forget Bobby Hull’s historic goals, the NHL’s first hat trick, Tony Esposito’s shutouts, Glenn Hall’s ironman streak in net, and Bill Mosienko’s three goals in twenty-one seconds? Year after year, the Blackhawks have been blessed by a succession of star players—Charlie Gardiner, Pierre Pilote, Stan Mikita, Keith Magnuson, Denis Savard, Chris Chelios, and Tony Amonte, to name a few.
For seventy-five memorable years, the Chicago Blackhawks have inspired unwavering loyalty in their legion of fans with their rousing comebacks and go-for-broke style of play. With a foreword by boisterous, everyman fan Jim Belushi and an insider’s introduction by venerable legend Billy Reay, Chicago Blackhawks: Seventy-Five Years celebrates the city and the fans that have made Blackhawks hockey what it is today.
(thanks Amazon)

This was a quick,fun read that told me more about my beloved Blackhawks, Since I didn't really start following hockey in general until december 2009 it was neat to learn more about the overall sport along with the awesome Blackhawks. Cool pictures and history make this a perfect Blackhawks fan book;I give it an A.


The Secret Keeper Kate Morton
download The Secret Keeper sample
1961: On a sweltering summer's day, while 
her family picnics by the stream on their 
Suffolk farm, sixteen-year-old Laurel hides out 
in her childhood tree house dreaming of a boy 
called Billy, a move to London, and the bright 
future she can't wait to seize. But before the 
idyllic afternoon is over, Laurel will have witnessed 
a shocking crime that changes everything.
2011: Now a much-loved actress, Laurel finds herself overwhelmed by shades of the past. Haunted by memories, and the mystery of what she saw that day, she returns to her family home and begins to piece together a secret history. A tale of three strangers from vastly different worlds--Dorothy, Vivien and Jimmy--who are brought together by chance in wartime London and whose lives become fiercely and fatally entwined...
(thanks to her website)

For some reason I was never fully entranced with this story but I did like reading it ;I saw the twist at the ending coming as soon as I got about 3/4ths through the story. Kate still did a lovely job of keeping me on the edge of my seat and bringing the characters and setting to life. I must say though that Dolly is a rather unlikable characters,at least I thought so. I didn't love it but it definitely wasn't terrible, I give this book a B.


Engaging the Enemy Nora Roberts

These two love stories were sweet and similar yet both pulled me and had me rooting for all the characters. It was fun to solve a mystery as well as following the chemistry and love stories. Unique settings and characters but you can definitely tell that these are her older work(s). I give it a B.
(thanks amazon)

Tales from the Chicago Blackhawks Locker Room by Harvey Wittenberg

As one of the NHL’s original six teams, the Chicago Blackhawks have given their fans millions of heart-stopping memories, thousands of unforgettable stories, and five Stanley Cup Championships. Now fans of this indomitable team get to relive it all in this newly updated edition ofTales from the Chicago Blackhawks Locker Room. With all the charm and wit of a sportscaster who has been covering the Blackhawks for over sixty years, Harvey Wittenberg shares the greatest Hawks stories, including their 2010 Stanley Cup title.
(thanks amazon)

A really quick read,had me laughing out loud at times too. A fun read where I learned more about the classic players and the whole organization. I do wish though that it had been in a better more cohesive order,and that some of the stories were not retold more than once throughout the book. Enjoyable for any Blackhakws fan;I give it a B.

Wedding Night Sophie Kinsella
Wedding Night
Lottie is tired of long-term boyfriends who don’t want to commit to marriage. When her old boyfriend Ben reappears and reminds her of their pact to get married if they were both still single at thirty, she jumps at the chance. There will be no dates and no engagement—just a straight wedding march to the altar!  Next comes the honeymoon on the Greek island where they first met. But not everyone is thrilled with Lottie and Ben’s rushed marriage, and family and friends are determined to intervene.
(thanks to her website)

I was rather excited to read this book because I really loved Sophie's last book a lot but I was let down. I thought this book was rather predictable and fell flat. Sure,there were a couple funny parts but I really couldn't connect,relate,like or understand any of the characters. I felt like this book made us women as a whole look clingy,dumb and spastic. I was not a fan,I give it a D.

******
Happy Friday

1 comment:

  1. Engaging the Enemy looks like a good one! I need to catch up on my reading.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Life of a Little Songbird :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leave a comment! They really do make me smile and I try my best to reply to each one!