Thursday, January 20, 2011

Heart-wrenchingly beautiful

Band of Brothers is an HBO series from 2001. I know, I know, I am a tad late falling in love with this amazingly true world war II story/documentary. This series follows the E "Easy" Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne during their tour in WWII. They were a part of and in the front lines during D-Day, freeing Holland, the Battle of the Bulge, and occupying Hitler's Birds Nest.

(I want a copy of a photo like this, I think it is an incredible moment)




Watching all 10 parts just blew my mind. It is a real, sad, scary, surprising, very true, unbelievable, brutal, honest and amazing tale of war for these men who volunteered because they wanted to be the best of the best. One of the most powerful moments is when they encounter an abandoned (by the Germans) concentration camp. It took my breath away. I strongly believe that this series portrayed what these heroic men went through to a 'T' because when I watched the bonus features these men told their story the same way we watched it. And I have to say that the actors that portrayed these men were right-on, you can tell who was who right away. I just cannot say enough good things regarding this mini-series. It has left me practically speechless and it has taught me so very much about this time period, WWII and soldiers in general.


The men of Easy company always said that they were not the heroes, the real heroes of the war were buried there. That is true, but I also believe that these surviving men are incredible heroes as well.

God bless them all!

                                    

Now it is your turn to go watch.
You won't be sorry....honest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to visit and leave a comment! They really do make me smile and I try my best to reply to each one!